Caleb got his feelings hurt today on the playground. He wanted to play with these two older little girls and they ran away. From the time he was a baby I have been dreading the day(s) when someone would not want to play with him or make fun of him or pick him last. I have been dreading it all of this time, but not preparing a good response. I didn't know what to say or how to make him feel better - his pitiful little face had broken my heart as well (which did at least erase all the irritation I had towards him for his incessant whining this morning). I really do not think these girls did it on purpose, but it was still very hard for him.
Luckily, a good friend of Corey's from work gave us a cool new toy so he left the park with a smile because he knew what was waiting at home.
And then tonight when Caleb was going to bed he said, "do you remember when those little girls were too fast for me?" I am in desperate need of a good response!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
I think my secretary is going to give us one of these when here youngest grandchild gets too old for it.
You know the counselor in me wants to "explore the feelings" that Caleb felt. However, I don't think that's the quick response you were looking for.
But the roller coaster is super cute!
I know your heart hurts for him! I've felt that way with Ellie, and I hate it. I remind Ellie of how precious she is to me and how awesome God thinks that she is...and that those girls/boys/whoever missed out on a lot of fun by not playing with her!
Just tell him that girls are silly like that sometimes because chances are next time she won't act that way.
That hurts my heart!
As parents, we desperately want our children to never know hurt, or disappointment, or rejection. But it doesn't happen and it shouldn't happen because it is with the hurts that maturity comes.
So you start with the little hurts on a playground, remind them they are loved, and that people are just silly sometimes. Then help them see that they don't ever want to make anyone else feel that way so they learn to play fair and be nice in the middle of the hurt.
Little hurts someday become big hurts and EVERYBODY hurts. But if a child is lucky, like Caleb is, he will feel reassured by his mom and feel loved and will survive the hurt on the playground. And when he survives it surrounded by enough love, he'll also survive the hurt that comes when playgrounds have been replaced by a much tougher playing field.
Caleb is blessed.
Post a Comment