Thursday, August 13, 2009

Summer Recap - Hiking

We took a day trip to a state park down the road and took the boys on a little one mile hike. The path was well defined so Caleb could "lead the way", and it was also rugged enough for them to feel like they were actually doing something new and exciting!

I don't really like the outdoors. I have major issues with bugs, and I am not into sweating. The last time Corey and I went on a hike, it was a three day backpacking adventure through the Shenandoah Valley with Mr. and Mrs. Eagle Scout as our guides. I shed more than a few tears on that trip.

But, God in his infinite wisdom still chose to bless me with three little boys, and so as I started the day I had to believe that He would equip me with a happy heart and hopefully keep my whining to a minimum.

Thankfully, there was a cool breeze and minimal bug encounters so my husband was spared a repeat of the previously mentioned bad behavior.

And no, the trail was not stroller friendly. I should have taken Checkers up on her offer to borrow a toddler backpack carrier, but I did not think ahead to just how hard it would be to push a stroller over roots and rocks and tiny bridges. It was useful for carrying our picnic supplies at least!


6 comments:

Shawn said...

Love it...next time hike on over to Cherry Grove and I'll have a cold glass of lemonade and something chocolate waiting for you...bug free, I promise.

~H

Pamela Johnson said...

love that last picture of C and the boys.

Amber said...

I love that Silas always looks like he's about to do something mischievous!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Summer recap. I love the pictures...
And with all your responsibilities, don't worry about not being as frequent as you would like. I don't see how you have any time at all!

Pop

Meredith said...

I am so impressed with you venturing out in the woods. I know the boys loved it. And I hate that we live so far away. Nathan asks all the time to go to Caleb's house.

Ky Nana said...

What an adventure!!!Know what you mean about the outdoors and bugs,and heat.
But looks like everyone had a good time and you are a good Mother to go with your boys even if you don't like hiking