Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Leading by Example

For all of my fellow bloggers, I am trying to lead by example. For most of you, I check your blogs daily...I appreciate new posts!

Per request from Erin I will tell you all the Saxby's story. It is funny, because it is actually Erin's fault that I wound up at Saxby's in pj pants, slippers, and with pink giraffe stamps all over my face. Caleb had a harder time adjusting to Canaan than he did Silas. He had a really hard time when we left to go to the hospital, and for weeks after we came home he would say "Mommy, I am so glad you are home" at random times. He did not want to go to school which was very unusual for him, and he also had a hard time going into the nursery at church. I decided to discuss all of this with Erin - I figured she needed to use that Master's degree in counseling for something. ;) She and her sister-in-law had alot of great ideas that have really seemed to help - one of which was setting aside some special one-on-one time with Caleb.

Fast forward a couple of weeks to the usual evening at home, I have been trapped in the house all day and I am still in my pjs from the night before. (Luckily, this time the pants were plain black so they could halfway pass for normal clothes that you would wear out.) Silas is having a great time with a pink giraffe stamp, he has covered himself in stamps and so it was my turn. I was in one of those 'I dont care what you do to me as long as I get to just sit here' moods and I let him put them on my hands, feet, arms, and all across my nose and cheeks. To give you a visual, Caleb kept calling me a kitty cat. After dinner I needed to get out of the house so I decided to run to Saxby's and get some coffee, Caleb wanted to come along and I thought it was a great opportunity for some special Caleb and Mommy time. I didn't think about my face stamps until Caleb started saying that he really wanted to go inside - he thinks the drive-through is alot less fun. The problem was that I had told him it was special Caleb and Mommy time so I didn't want to then tell him we could not do what he wanted to do - I also felt like I had reached my quota of whining for the day. So you know the rest of the story, we went inside Saxby's in our pjs and looking very silly. And of course, my usually shy child picks a night where I would prefer to hide in the corner to ham it up and become best friends with everyone in the store. If I only would have known that I was starting a blog, I would have taken a picture.

5 comments:

Shane said...

It won't be long before your blog will ruin your life. You will start to tell a story and people will go "yeah, I read that."

Big Nanny said...

Yes, I agree. I often am hesitant to share a story because I'm afraid that someone is reading it and I'm boring them with ditto'd information. I'm impressed that you have two entries, two days in a row.

Erin said...

Thanks for the shout-out...glad my master's degree advice could provide us all with some hilarity! :) I keep thinking about that episode on Friends where Ross and Rachel drew on each other's faces...but I think they were drunk. Caleb was probably hamming it up because he wanted everyone to see how super fun his mom was for taking him out that way!

Anonymous said...

Unlike your fellow "schooled bloggers", I just now realized that I could comment on your post. I love this story! I smiled the whole time I read it. I feel like I regularly present myself in public in ways that I should be embarressed of...but I continue to do so.

Anonymous said...

Cute story, Kitty! My mom actually really calls me Kitty Kat. Katie