Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Danel

All of the girls are now sponsored, and all I can say is Praise the Lord! Next on our priority list are boys who are are double orphans.

Double orphans. Not that the single orphans are really any better off, their one remaining parent is often too sick or disabled to care for them, and they face watching them waste away daily.

But we have about 60 profiles left, and there has to be an order.

So next up is Danel Damis. He is 14, and stopped going to school in 6th grade. Likely around the same time that he lost his parents, and was forced to fend for himself. I love his sweet smile, and curly hair!

What could you sacrifice to give him hope?

I am reading the book, When Helping Hurts, that talks about how we as Americans tend to describe poverty by a lack of material items or basic necessities...lack of food, water, shelter, etc. But those living in poverty tend to describe poverty as more emotional...lack of worth, fear of the future, etc. We cannot just meet physical needs, and not make an impact of the emotional poverty in the lives of these children.

If you have already sponsored a child, thank you so much, and please take the time to write them a letter and tell them that they are fearfully and wonderfully made, and that they are special, and loved by you and by their Heavenly Father.

If you would like to sponsor Danel, please email me sumjyates@hotmail.com.

Sponsoring a child is a sacrifice, no doubt, but looking back over my life I have lots of regrets over things I spent money on for myself...no regrets over the money I gave away.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Preach it sister. No regrets! Well said.

Keith

Cherrie said...

Hi Summer,
I cannot wait to go to Korah and tell Danel he has been sponsored. I know that God is preparing someones heart now to welcomehim into their family via school sponsorship! He has such a sweet spirit!