Friday, April 17, 2009

Did you hear the sirens?

If you live near me, and you were awakened from sleep by the blaring of a fire engine at about 10:00 last night I am sorry. It was our fault.

The kids were all sleeping soundly while Corey and I were watching Fringe. It is a creepy show, and often times suspenseful. And when all of the fire alarms in my house when off during the middle of it my heart took a little bit to start back up again.

Of course, we check the house and there is no fire that we can find. Check on the boys and they are all sleeping through it, but the alarms just will not stop. Corey takes out the battery...still going. So I call the fire department and explain the situation. The nice fireman explains to me that I need to hang up and call 911. Seriously?

I call 911, and they tell me that I need to get everyone out of the house. Seriously? This time I do explain to him that I have lots of very small children who are sleeping soundly and does he really think this is necessary since we do not know of any actual fire. "Yes ma'am, you need to get your family and go sit in the car and wait for the firemen to arrive."

So there we are, me and my three little boys who all want to snuggle in my lap at the same time (and that dog of mine who would have been left inside if not for Corey) watching those amazingly kind firemen run every imaginable test on my house. And come to the conclusion that it was probably a dust particle in the alarm.

Seriously? If that is all it takes they better get used to coming to my house because I got lots of dust particles floating around.

But really, I love those men. And as I sat in my van and as I sit her typing this now, I thank God for men and women who devote their nights to making sure the house where my children sleep is safe.

Sorry if we woke you up.

5 comments:

Shane said...

If Nathan were sleeping I don't think I would have gotten him up until I smelled smoke. Of course then you start feeling like a bad parent, and know if there really is a fire you are going to feel terrible. I feel the same way about tornadoes.

But still sleeping children is an almost sacred thing that should NOT be messed with. Sounds like you have a crazy night.

Ky Nana said...

Never a dull moment at the Yates household. Glad it was a false alarm. Also glad to know the alarms are that sensitive.

Big Nanny said...

Yes, I heard it! I heard it last night too, did you call them again? :)

You are such a compliant citizen...there is no way I would have woken up 3 sleeping kiddos.

Amber said...

That is crazy! I feel for you getting all those wide-awake boys back in the bed!

Pamela Johnson said...

uhh, did they ever go back to sleep?