Post by Angela
I've talked to Sumer at least three times since she started living across the pond. Everytime I talk to her, I am more and more convinced that she is starting to roll on Africa time:) Things move at a slower pace in Africa and multi-tasking is not a way of life. I think because of the slower pace, true relationships are built. I'm reading the book Radical by David Platt and this paragraph stood out to me...
I'm struck when I see Jesus simply, intentionally, systematically, patiently walking alongside 12 men. Jesus reminds me that disciples are not mass produced. Disciples of Jesus - genuine, committed, self-sacrificing followers of Christ - are not made overnight. Making disciples is not an easy process. It is trying. It is messy. It is slow, tedious, even painful at times. It is all these things because it is relational. Jesus has not given us an effortless step-by-step formula for impacting nations for glory. He has given us people, and He has said, "Live for them. Love them, serve them and lead them. Lead them to follow me, and lead them to lead others to follow me. In the process you will multiply the gospel to the end of the earth."
I think Jesus rolled on Africa time too. Here is an update from Sumer about life in Africa...
The boys are adjusting well. They have started to eat more foods - always with the enticement of candy afterwards! :) But all in all I think we are all losing weight. The boys have not been to the village in awhile just because they get mobbed when they are there, we will take them back once the summer camp starts and there is a method to the madness. And the kids will all have a place to be. The leaders are amazing with them, and everyone is pretty much at their beck and call.
I've talked to Sumer at least three times since she started living across the pond. Everytime I talk to her, I am more and more convinced that she is starting to roll on Africa time:) Things move at a slower pace in Africa and multi-tasking is not a way of life. I think because of the slower pace, true relationships are built. I'm reading the book Radical by David Platt and this paragraph stood out to me...
I'm struck when I see Jesus simply, intentionally, systematically, patiently walking alongside 12 men. Jesus reminds me that disciples are not mass produced. Disciples of Jesus - genuine, committed, self-sacrificing followers of Christ - are not made overnight. Making disciples is not an easy process. It is trying. It is messy. It is slow, tedious, even painful at times. It is all these things because it is relational. Jesus has not given us an effortless step-by-step formula for impacting nations for glory. He has given us people, and He has said, "Live for them. Love them, serve them and lead them. Lead them to follow me, and lead them to lead others to follow me. In the process you will multiply the gospel to the end of the earth."
I think Jesus rolled on Africa time too. Here is an update from Sumer about life in Africa...
The boys are adjusting well. They have started to eat more foods - always with the enticement of candy afterwards! :) But all in all I think we are all losing weight. The boys have not been to the village in awhile just because they get mobbed when they are there, we will take them back once the summer camp starts and there is a method to the madness. And the kids will all have a place to be. The leaders are amazing with them, and everyone is pretty much at their beck and call.
What we are doing: We are working on the shelter. The shelter has a living house that will have space for twenty kids to sleep. We bought the mattresses and pillows this week. It is very fun since I am sure that none of these kids have ever had their own bed or mostly have ever even been able to sleep in the only bed in their house. There are two classrooms, a kitchen, bathrooms, and a shower. Pretty fancy for this village and all of the leaders are very proud of it. We should start the summer camp on Monday...just two weeks behind schedule...welcome to Africa time.
Looks like the June team had some fun playing (building) in the mud :)
Thanks for praying for Project 61 Ministries. If you have questions about projects, sponsorships and upcoming trips, please email here: angela@p61.org


3 comments:
I miss you, sweet sister. And even though I hate not having you here, I am willing to give you up for those precious kids from the dump. They need you even more than I do. I hated to leave them but took comfort in knowing that you were there with them. I wish I had unlimited funds to come in July and August...and Sept. and so on. I miss some Korah love.
Thx for the update. :)
Shawn
It's so good to hear from you guys, and what a sweet picture!
Post a Comment