Thursday, July 1, 2010

Starving

by Angela

Beniyam now has a sponsor. Thanks to a member on the Visiting Orphans team!

starve – verb
1. to die or perish from lack of food or nourishment.
2. to be in the process of perishing or suffering severely from hunger.
3. to suffer from extreme poverty and need.

My friend Alicia occasionally has to correct me on Sunday afternoon when I'm quick to blurt out that I'm starving and ready for lunch. If you've seen a picture of me lately, you'll quickly come to the conclusion that I'm not. She always reminds me that I'm hungry and not starving. And at that moment, I'm always reminded of the kids that go to the dump each day for food.

Photograph by Tucker Bleu Photography


Beniyam needs to go to boarding school in the fall. When you sponsor a child ($700 per year) through Project 61...
You give an Education
You give clean Food and Water
You give Clothes
You give a Bed
You give a Roof
You give a Smile
You give a Chance
You give a God
You give a Hope
You give a Future

If you would like to sponsor him, you can email our sponsorship coodinator here: erin@p61.org



The summer program officially started this week. The Visiting Orphans team has been there to help this week and a TSC team is in the air right now. Things are going well, but Sumer's summer school is competing with the dump this week. Here is a quote from Sumer's Facebook status this week:

Takley, one of the older boys in the summer camp, told Sammy today that he loves school and he wants to learn but at the trash dump he could eat all day, and at school he only gets one meal and he is hungry. Cherrie took Beniyam to the doctor today because we thought he had typhoid, turns out he was mostly just starving. We are hopefully going to introduce breakfast into our school day as well.
If you would like to give to the Project 61 summer feeding program, please make your check payable to:



P.O. Box 126


Thompson Station, TN 37179

2 comments:

Our journey following Christ said...

The story of Beniyam has so bothered me since I read about it on facebook. In fact, Katie and I were just talking about it today again. She wonders how many of the other Korah kids, who look 'pretty good' are actually and literally starving.

Praise God for Beniyam's sponsors and the fact that he will now have a future!

Love you,
Laura

Rachel said...

Thank you for your work. I ws there in January with Erica. I just linked to p61 on my blog...hoping for many more sponsorships!

Say hi to Sammy (and Alicia) for me. I look forward to meeting you when my husband and I come (Lord willing)in the fall for our adoption.