Monday, October 6, 2008

Birthday Boy

Corey likes to pretend that he does not care about his birthday...but anyone who points out that it is his birthday time when the clock says 10:06 has to care a little bit. Does he get excited about his birthday? Not really. (Does he get excited about anything? Not often.) But, thankfully, I have also never known him to cry on his birthday, and I have done that more times than I like to admit.


Today, my husband is 31. His birthday is a bigger deal to me than it is to him, and that used to drive me crazy. But the older we get, and the longer we are married, the more I love that about him. He is laid back and even tempered. He is not candy and flowers romantic, but the only thing he wants when he gets home is a happy wife - he does not care about what we have for dinner, or if the house is clean, or if I am even clean. And these days that is romance to me. When I asked him what he wanted for his birthday, he said "a smile." He also forgives easily, gets up with our kids, puts the needs (and wants) of his family first, is my best friend, makes some mean scrambled eggs and chocolate chip pancakes, takes his job and responsibility to be a mentor to his students seriously, and is consistently pursuing to know God more. For me, it does not get any better than that. Happy Birthday, Corey!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Corey has a handle on the things in life that are important. He is a lucky, wise man...

Happy Birthday, my son...

Dad/Pop/J.C.

Big Nanny said...

Happy Birthday, Corey! Although, she says that you will take anything for dinner, she told me herself that hotdogs would not be "dinner" at the Yates house.

Shane said...

Happy Birthday. You can tell Corey isn't a Yancey. When you ask us what we want for our Birthday we normally have a long list. I claim it is because I like to give people option, but actually it is because I hope to get all of it.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Corey. You are a keeper. Sumer and the boys are very blessed.

Erin said...

Happy Birthday from the Allens! It's cool how such a laid back, unopinionated guy could be such good friends with my highly opinionated guy!

Sumer said...

You are all so sweet, Corey has seemed excited about the comments on his post!

Erin, our husbands being friends is not surprise to me...Corey and I have been married ten years so he must have a way with highly opionated people. ;)

Big Nanny, the no hot dog rule is my rule. Corey would eat hotdogs, pb&j, or cereal every night.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words from all of you. I had a great birthday. Sumer brought lunch to me at school, she had a party set up for me when I got home including streamers, cards, party favors, cake and our own "built in" party goers. We played outside at soccer practice and had one of my favorite meals after the boys went to bed of hot fingers and french fries. One of the best parts of this meal is the location and company I eat it with, on the couch with Sumer and some good shows! Thanks for a full day of fun. I love you, Shug.

Corey

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday Corey. I am always a day (or two) late and a dollar short. I think God broke the mold when He made you.

Donald Duck