Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Helen

I told you all that Ethiopia stole my heart, but I would gladly go back to Uganda just for this beautiful girl. Her name is Helen. She is part of the Karamajong tribe, and she asked me to take her home.



"I want to go with you. I want to go with you today," she said. She was not in the line for food. She sent her sister to the line but she refused to go and get her only meal of the day, it was like she knew that I was going to leave soon and she did not want to be away from me.

My thoughts are consumed with the children I walked away from last week.



On a lighter note: When I saw Big Nanny holding this half-naked baby I warned her she was probably going to get peed on. She shrugged her shoulders and said "oh well."


A few minutes later Helen walked up to me and handed me her half-naked baby brother, Charles. And Charles peed on me. They all thought that was funny for a minutes, and then Helen took the scarf from around her neck and cleaned it up. Later when I stood up she spent several minutes cleaning the mud off the back of my skirt from where the moisture had leaked through. These children are SO dirty, and yet for some reason it was important to her that my skirt was clean.

These Karamajong children are fed once a day Monday-Friday thanks to Katie Davis and the work of Amazima Ministries.

On her blog, Katie recounted the story of talking with the Head Master of a school overlooking their village:


As I looked out over the hill, I looked straight into the little Karamajong village.My heart raced. "What do you know about those people?" He looked at me disgusted. "They are filthy. They are uncivilized. They are the poorest poor people in all of Uganda!" Yes, I thought, God's heart.

You can support this program by visiting the Amazima website and designating your money towards the feeding program. You can also go and visit these beautiful children yourself in April on the next Visiting Orphans trip.

If you decide to go, just know that they love for you to take their picture and show it to them. They love stickers, but be ready because those things start a frenzy. And tickling breaks through any language barriers.





Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. Lamentations 3:21-23

6 comments:

Ashley said...

Sumer-
I can read through the words that you would like nothing more RIGHT NOW than to be taking pictures, tickling, and being bombarded for handing out stickers.
PRECIOUS!

Big Nanny said...

my thoughts are consumed by the toddlers that don't have shoulders to sleep on.

Shawn said...

Not the first time Big Nanny's been peed on...nor the last time for you, I wager.

Love this post, Sumer.
~H

Erin said...

It breaks my heart that these kids are so willing to leave behind everything they know for a chance at a life they know nothing about.

And you're right - they are beautiful people.

Anonymous said...

I am sure that it was through God's strength that you were able to walk away and then share this testimony of His love. Thank you for sharing. I am not sure how you say, "No, I can't take you home." Will you teach me before April?

=( Tracey

Meredith said...

Are these the children actually waiting to be adopted? Where Frances' soon to be child is?