We will leave on the 30th of December (just enough time for Christmas and a birthday party for Silas) and be home on January 9th.
Angela, Alicia, and I are traveling with an organization called Visiting Orphans, and we are three of a 28 member team.
We are going to Ethiopia and Uganda. While in Uganda we will work with the following organizations...
Amazima Ministries
A ministry started by a now 20 year old girl from Brentwood, TN. Katie lives in Uganda with the 13 orphan girls she has adopted. She has given up life in Tennessee with a loving family, a boyfriend, college at Belmont, and the American Dream. She gave it all up, for pursuit of a calling to life more abundantly.
This ministry feeds around 1500 people twice a day, and has arranged sponsorships for around 400 children. These sponsorships provide children with school fees (there are very few public schools in Uganda), a uniform, socks and shoes, two hot meals a day, school supplies, and any minor medical care needed. The children are also discipled by the Amazima staff.
She is what we call "sold out", and I cannot wait to meet her and hear the sweet songs that are sung at her house on Saturday mornings when all of the sponsored kids come over.
Please follow the link to the right and learn more about this ministry and ways that you can support Katie and her work in Uganda.
Canaan Children's Home
According to the website, "Pastor Isaac Wagaba and his wife Rebecca began the children's home in 1996 with two abandoned children.
During the reign of infamous Idi Amin, when Pastor Isaac was laying on a heap of bodies, shot and left for dead, he heard a voice "Isaac, I have saved your life so that you may save the lives of my fatherless children...Isaac, I will be the father of those children through you."
Strengthened with energy from God, Pastor Isaac crawled from the pit and ultimately God fulfilled his promise, beginning with two abandoned children.
Today, in Buziika, near Jinja, Uganda, Pastor Isaac serves God who saved him to be a father of the fatherless, by directing a growing and vibrant orphanage and home for destitute children -- the invisible children of Africa."
I have heard that these kids can give an impressive reception so I am excited to see it for myself!
This orphanage recently had a major fire break out in their girl's dormitory and while no children were hurt the building was completely destroyed. Please pray for them as I can only imagine what a loss that was for those girls.
While in Ethiopia we will also visit an orphanage called Kid's Care, a Mother Teresa orphanage for children with HIV, and participate in a ministry to the street children. I do not know as much about these, but I will pass along any information I get.
Please prayerfully consider supporting one of these ministries!
And if you feel led, you can also support our trip by clicking on the "Donate" button to the right. All donations go into the same "Big Nanny and friends go to Africa" fund and any money that we raise over travel costs will be donated to one of the ministries listed above.


4 comments:
Sumer, this is Frances Worthington! I'm Jay's wife and I have met you several times. I JUST got an email from Meredith that shared that you were going to work with Katie Davis in Uganda!!
Well, we are ADOPTING from Amani Baby Cottage where she worked in Jinga a few years ago. We will not be bringing our little one (haven't been matched yet!)home in February as we have been told now.
We will be going to get our little one and spend about a month in Jinja and with Katie and her ministry when we can! Oh, you have to keep me posted. I pray that while you are there you might be able to hug and love on my little one and whisper in his ear that he is NO LONGER and orphan!
By that time we will have a match (should be in the next 2-3 weeks), a photo, and more info. I just CAN'T BELIEVE you are going! Our journey to Uganda started with someone sending me the link to Amazima Ministries' blog...and to hear about how Katie is loving the orphans of Uganda.
I am just overjoyed to hear your heart and to enjoy your journey. Feel free to follow our journey as we seek to follow God's heart for the orphans at www.theworthingtonjourney.blogspot.com. Feel free to email me at jandfran@yahoo.com! Too cool God!
I love what Katie said in her testimony:
"Courage is not about knowing the path. It is about taking the first step."
You are taking that first step, and I can't wait to see where God directs your path.
Reading your part of the story and Frances' just gives me chills.
Sumer, I love the new pictures on your blog!! You probably changed them a while ago and I'm just noticing, but I wanted to tell you I love them. Granny Kathy
Post a Comment